[Amps] No more HP/Agilent manuals on BAMA

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Mon Apr 25 17:35:37 EDT 2005

Gary Schafer wrote:
> It may actually come down to some of the "manual merchants". Agilent has
> a small list of them on their web site where old HP manuals and copies
> can be purchased. They may have struck a deal with Agilent and are
> pressuring Agilent to get the free stuff of the web?

> 73
> Gary  K4FMX

It is not that.

A few days back I contacted Agilent via a web link on their test and
measurement page, to ask for permission to put manuals of unsupported
equipment and application notes on the web. I received a response within
24 hours or less.

I was denied permission, but they said they can permit me to send copies
or obsolete equipment via CD or paper. I can either give them away or
sell them. I do not have to pay Agilent anything.

Their logic for not allowing them on the web seems a little flawed, as
it is basically based around the fact that others can put it on web
sites who are not authorised to copy it. (What stops them doing it if I
send them a CD I do not know).

So it would seem the eBay sellers selling manuals on CDs can be quite
legal if they ask permission first (I bet most don't).

All Agilent have asked is that I sign a letter (it's only a simple
half-page thing), send it back by post, and they will then send me
confirmation of permission by a PDF file attached to an email. I sent
the letter by Airmail on Friday, but expect it will take a week or so to
get to the USA. The letter says "manuals" whereas the email did say
"documents", so whether or not I can distribute an obsolete application
note I do not know.

PS, if anyone has a manual in electronic format for the 11-digit 100MHz
time interval counter 5370B:

http://www.tucker.com/java/jsp/doorway_partnoH-P5370B_invid3074.htm

let me know. I have been offered a copy to borrow, but I don't actually
relish the thought of scanning it on my A4 scanner. ManualsPlus want $75
plus shipping, making it $125 for me to get a copy, and it does not even
cover my S/N, which appears to be a late model. At least the copy I will
borrow is free and covers my serial number!!

PPS
For anyone writing a PhD thesis, or similar they might put on the web,
do NOT reference HP application notes, or you will spend the rest of
your life getting requests for copies of the application notes.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/