[Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 32, Issue 12: Metric system

w5grg w5grg at comforttexas.net
Thu Aug 4 11:31:46 EDT 2005

The US adopted the metric system in the late 1800's.
If you understand tolerances and the various systems of measurement, the
English system is really better for common work, you can't beat
fractions. Also, how do you order 1/2 of a pie at the bakery in the
metric system .5 of a pie?
Those schooled in the metric system think it is more "accurate" being
base 10 only. The English system is base 2, 3 and 10, I have an entire
machinists chest of micrometers, dial indicators, etc all marked in
1/1000 or 1/10000 of an INCH. What about a pints a pound the world around?
I was trying to build a 2M antenna out of the 2001 Handbook, the
dimensions are in MM, but I could never get it done, I would cut the
elements off to the correct MM length in the morning, but by afternoon
and 100 degree heat, they were too many MM long, so I had to cut them
again,next morning, I checked and they were too short so I had to throw
them all away and start again. I think I will go crazy building the
antenna, maybe I will just get a premade one and stop trying, hopefully
the instructions will be in English.
I wonder how far it really is the the North Pole?
Thanks, George W5GRG