[Amps] Conversion Nightmare

Ian White G/GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 06:19:08 EDT 2005

Peter Chadwick wrote:
>Getting back to something to do with amplifier building, to my mind,
>one of the abominations of the metric system is the ISO metric thread.
[...]
>One day, I must get around to getting a die to match  my 5/16 left hand
>Whitworth tap......

For a real nightmare thread, try the one on the older Andrew connectors
for LDF-5 Heliax. The inner conductor of that cable is hollow, and the
center pin was screwed in using a self-tapping thread that had both a
conical taper and a self-tightening variable pitch.

But their cable splice connector was even worse. To be able to screw the
two center conductors together without having to twist the whole length
of cable, it needed a copper slug with the above-mentioned thread on one
end, and a left-handed version on the other!

At some stage their mad genius CNC programmer must have started taking
his meds - they now use simple push-in 'banana jacks'.

--
73 from Ian G/GM3SEK