[Amps] Relative influence of components to tonal quality(Was: Wrong Business)

Gary Smith wa6fgi at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 5 15:44:19 EDT 2005

Ah..."oxygen free," of course.  We purchased a new tuner/amp sometime ago and the salesman offered me Monster Cable's O2 free wire.

Told the young man if he could tell me what kind of atmosphere and under what outward pressure in bars or millibars, (I thought that was a nice touch) the room this magical wire had been manufactured in, I would by it.

A befuddled look on his face at this query, it was then my wonderful xyl said to me, "he doesn't know what you're talking about, honey."

Then the salesman looked at me,  a puzzled look on his face and asked: "does SHE know what you're talking about?"

Told him with as straight of a face as I could muster, "yes, she should she's the atomic physicist. Her specialty is particle matter."

Needless to say he hurried on with the sale, saying  not one more word about the properties of copper wire surrounded by a plastic sheathing, while the xyl gave him  look that said more than words could describe.

73 (and a chuckle,)
Gary... wa6fgi