[Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 32, Issue 36

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sun Aug 7 22:56:06 EDT 2005

note -- Quote level marks corrected.

On Aug 7, 2005, at 3:25 PM, k7fm wrote:

> Rich said:
>
>> "In all other HF 8877 amplifiers they are there.  Was Dick Ehrhorn
>> and every other 8877 amp mfg out of line for using a parasitic
>> suppressor?"
>
> Rich, this is an interesting observation.  In the past, you have
> criticized almost every manufacturer of 8877 amplifiers because their
> parasitic suppression was not your standards.

In order to reduce VHF gain, parasitic suppressors need to have a
low-Q.  In your opinion, do Ag and Cu contribute to a low-Q?

> So, if these manufacturers do not know what they are doing, why should
> they be the standard by which others should be measured.

Even a medium-Q parasitic suppressor is better than no suppressor
whatsoever.

> There are many commecial amplifiers which do not use parasitic
> suppressors.

Can you name a commercial HF 8877 amplifier besides the AL-1500 that
does not use a VHF suppressor?

> Old tubes like 811s need them, because of internal construction.  But,
> the 8877 is a modern tube similar to many of the high power tubes.

So Dick Ehrhorn made a mistake in the Alpha 77 by using a VHF
suppressor?

> Many high power amplifiers used in commercial services do not use
> parasitic suppressors.

Surely, but they are likely VHF or UHF amplifiers, not HF.

> In fact, using one may be an admission of either an older tube or a
> dated design.

The only tube that I have seen that is unconditionally stable  in HF
service with or without a VHF suppressor is the 813