[Amps] 6146 versus the B variety TSPA

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 9 10:52:14 EDT 2005

I have used 6146, 6146A, and 6146B in my DX100 project last winter.
Tested each one, and found that the biggest advantage to the B is
lower filament current so that I could improve on the filament
transformer loading (which is max'ed out in at DX100). Also, the B
had headroom so that i could actually see 130 watts output easily,
whereas the other tubes had to struggle to do that. Of course the
power supply must have the headroom to handle it too. As far as
tuning and neutralization, they were were transparent in both types
of tubes, the 6146, 6146A variety versus the 6146B variety.

73
John
K5PRO