[Amps] plate choke

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 26 11:14:59 EDT 2005

When those soldenoid chokes were designed, first they figured for enough impedance at the lowest frequency. That decided the amount of inductance. Next, a trial choke was wound. Then, they used a grid dip meter most likely to make sure where its SR was. If its SR shown on an operating frequency, they moved the SR by adding or subtracting a few turns. Then, it was checked again with the dip meter. When all was well, that was the design. You'll notice on several chokes that none are hardly an even number like say 20, 40, etc uH. My guess is that was because the SR would show up in the wrong place. Anyhow, any text I've ever read on the subject always recommend using the grid dip meter to check where the SR was. The cure was always add or subtract a few turns.

There have been mis-designed chokes used before too! I have heard of some in some Henry amps where the few top turns would burn out. That was over SR and was cured by subtracting a few turns off the old choke.

Best,

Will