[Amps] Spam and worms attachments from mailing list

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 27 13:43:19 EDT 2005

BS!

They have to KNOW your e-mail address to send it too! The only way they can get that is by data mining or through someones address book. That means there's only two ways and one would be by a worm sending out someones address book over the net. The other is data mining apps where they will search archives for folks addresses. That is used for spam. The worm is different and was what I'm refering to. I get spam and dont care, but the worm attachments had to come from somewhere. To be honest, I had my old e-mail address for almost 5 years and the only time I ever started getting worm and virus attachments was when I joined this and a 1-2 other mail groups on the net. If it were what you say, I'd of been getting them from day one. These kiddie scripters (not true hackers), dont care where they get their info, but they use the worms to do it for them because their too lazy to run a data miner which takes a lot of search time. The only way to get the infection is from clicking on an attachment in an e-mail. Once one computer gets infected that has several addresses on here in its address book, it spreads everywhere to others infected. Then you start getting spoofed e-mails with the worm attached. Generally Outlook or Outlook Express is the one that sends it because most other e-mail apps or immune to the worm. I will not use Outlook over it and use one that several businesses use named Courier.

Best,

Will