[Amps] powersupply/grid current query

Steve Thompson g8gsq at ic24.net
Sat Aug 27 17:18:19 EDT 2005

Sean Williams wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>As a follow on from the Gi7 144meg amp I have a query.
>
>I am still having problems with grid current, although not as serious as before.

Did I miss some posts about grid current? The last thing I recall was
about a 480MHz hoot - did you fix that, and how?

>My question is would low HT cause a rise in grid current? I ask this because as I approach higher drive levels 30 - 40 watts grid current soars, and output does go up, but not a great deal, however the power supply sags from 2.4Kv offload to 1500v on load at 800mA?

Yes, it can. When the anode volts swing too low, grid current tends to
rise. With that much swing on the dc volts, I reckon you've either got a
dead rectifier, or a transformer that's not up to it - maybe one
intended for choke input operation.

>The amp has masses of loading (120pf) but this is obviously crazy.....

What's the format of the output coupling? If it's still the tuned link,
then it needs adjusting. With that much capacitance it's not tuned, just
an inductive link - being non adjustable, you're going to struggle to
get the loading right.

Steve