[Amps] FL-2100B Fixed

R.Measures r at somis.org
Wed Dec 7 07:49:32 EST 2005

On Dec 7, 2005, at 3:04 AM, Will Matney wrote:

> Alek,
>
> I'm glad this fixed your amp, and was a blessing in disguise to prove
> a point that not all amps of one model are stable. In other words,
> even though an amp may be stable, another of the same model may
> exhibit signs of parasitics, and act squirelly like this one. There
> was a test done to prove that no such things as parasitics existed
> using 1-2 amps which were stable anyhow. The test did not use other
> amps of the same model which shown signs of parasitic action. This
> throws that test out the window, and proves the point. I'm sure Rich
> Measures, and a few others know of what I speak, and can concur. Even
> though other FL-2100B's may be stable, it does not necessarily mean
> all are (same with any amp of any model). It also proves that
> parasitic supressors do in fact work, do their job, and that nichrome
> supressors work where standard supressors using tinned wire may fail
> due to a lower impedance.

Gentlemen -- Using a Ni-Cr L-supp is not the only way to build a
parasite suppressor with lower VHF-Q - and thereby reduce VHF
amplification in an HF amplifier. .  Ohmite® has a new line of low-L
film resistors that are capable of dissipating enough P to serve as
R-supp when silver (Ag) or copper (Cu) is used for L-supp, and do so
Without increasing VHF-Q.  Thus, those who prefer to use silver
suppressors for cosmetic reasons can now do so without inviting
squirrels by increasing  VHF-Q.  The tradeoffs are: increased cost of R
and the need to provide a heat sink for the suppressor.   In order to
convert an existing Ni-Cr suppressor to a beautiful silver-plated-strap
parasitic suppressor Without increasing VHF-Q, increase L-supp by c.
1.7x and change R-supp to one of the new Ohmite units that can
dissipate c. 3x as much P as the old R-supp.