[Amps] ?Bargain? Transformer Connections

LKBrownMD@cs.com LKBrownMD at cs.com
Tue Dec 27 16:04:38 EST 2005

Hi Ampers,

I'm hoping there is a transformer guru out there who can help me figure out
how to use a transformer I bought on E-you-know-what.  It was billed as a 220 V
primary, 1160 V @2.65 A secondary power transformer, and I am hoping to use
it in a voltage doubler to get about 3000+ VDC for 3-500's or similar.
However, I can't figure out the connections.  The leads are marked as follows:

       (1)              (2)              (3)              (4)
(5)              (6)                    (7)               (8)
       50 Hz         60 Hz         (Blank)        170 V         185 V
 200 V (N/C)       215 V         230 V
========

                                                             50 Hz         60
Hz          1160 V
                                                             (A)
(B)              (C)

The numbers and letters in parentheses don't appear on the terminal board,
but I identified them here so I could report the DC resistances (and N/C means
there is no wire connected to that terminal), which are as follows:

1 to 2:  0.3 Ohms
1 to 8:  0.75 Ohms
2 to 8:  0.6 Ohms
3 to 8:  0.6 Ohms
4 to 8:  0.55 Ohms
5 to 8:  0.5 Ohms
6 to 8:  open circuit
7 to 8:  0.3 Ohms

A to B:  1.1 Ohms
A to C:  9.2 Ohms
B to C:  8.4 Ohms

The transformer is identified as a Type HMB-120-4A, Mfg # KD-14634, Lamp
(blank), Input 200 V, Output 1160 V 2.65 A, Mfg Date 4-01, ORC Manufacturing
Company Ltd.

The only info I can get off the internet is that ORC Manufacturing Company
Ltd makes large scale systems for IC chip manufacturing and such, apparently
using a photoelectric process.

Any ideas as to how to hook this beast up?  It's brand new, beautifully
constructed, potted and everything, but am I out of luck in using it for an amp?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Lee, KI7UR