[Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback

Tom Cathey K1JJ at comcast.net
Tue Dec 27 16:10:06 EST 2005

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion.

You make a good point of possibly eliminating the 6146 pre driver. I thought
about that myself, but didn't have enough knowledge to know if I would have
enough gain left to reduce the overall gain with  20 db of negative feedback
afterwards.  Figured I'd just try it and see.

Well, I know that the 4CX-XXXX final [they're all similar] will need about
300 volts of swing. And the OPA-695 will do 10db gain. That's 5mW to 50mW. I
figured I'd put two OPA-695's  in cascade for 20db = 500mW.  Into 50 ohms,
500mW =  5V.    So we have 5V to drive the 4CX-250 driver.  And, the 9:1
transformer will make it X3 = 15V, right?  This is a 9:1 impedance ratio =
3:1 voltage ratio...?

Anyway, with 20 db of negative feedback from the final to the 4CX-250 driver
will mean a 20db reduction in gain.  I suppose a lot depends upon the gain
of the 4CX-250 driver and the transformer.  This is where I am not sure how
to calculate it and proceed. [20 Log db for voltage, etc.]

ie, Will an OPA-695 putting out 500mw into an X? step up ratio transformer
that drives a 4CX-250, that drives 300v into a 4CX-XXX X final  with 20db of
negative feedback have enough system gain?  And, will the 9:1 voltage step
up transformer have absolutely no affect on the low distortion goal... even
if a small space charge current is pulled? What if we need more than 9:1
step up, can it be done with cascaded transformers without ill effects?
BTW, I'm curious why you feel the transformer will have bandwidth
limitations... are we talking of a broadband unun torroidal type?

Opinions?

73,
Tom, K1JJ