[BULK] - [Amps] IC-718 and AL-811: Icom manual misleading, interface nec...

Martin J. Morgenbesser w7mjm at arrl.net
Fri Feb 4 16:49:29 EST 2005

Thanks for your responses, guys.

The SOA explanation makes sense to me, if it were a solid state device
doing the switching. But as Steve points out, the IC-718's "send relay" is
in fact a physical relay, as depicted in the schematic. And if it is rated
for 16V @ 2A, as the manual suggests, it should be able to directly handle
the 12V @ 100ma present on the AL-811's relay line.

However, given the Icom representative's stated reluctance to consider it
Icom's fault if the IC-718 send relay were to fail under those operating
conditions, I decided to spring for the ARB-704. Ironically, the ARB-704 is
a solid state device, but one capable of handling the Al-811's relay line!

The bottom line: Icom needs to do a better job of stating the technical
specs in their manual, or give the customer the benefit of the doubt. Of
course, now I won't have to test their willingness to do the latter.

In any case, I'm very happy with the IC-718/ARB-704/AL-811 combination. The
amp keys beautifully and puts out a solid signal. Plus, thanks to the
ARB-704, I have an additional red LED letting me know I'm keying the amp. :-)

One other thing, if Tom Rauch is reading this: Thank you for designing such
a nice amplifier that can be had at a very reasonable price!

See you all on the air!