[Amps] 10dB and propagation

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Feb 6 23:59:05 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "k7fm" <k7fm at teleport.com>

> Looking at the situation in reverse, if an amateur transmitter (even
> operating at illegal power) can cause a non-linear reflection, then it
would
> be probable that power used would be at the beginning of the non-linear
> range.  If that was so, then higher power would be much more likely to
> trigger the non-linear reflection.  There are enough higher power stations
> operating that the event would be reasonably common, and AT&T would likely
> have discovered it when they were using high power in the 30's for
overseas
> telephone service.  That such events have not been regularly reported by
> higher power raises a red flag.

Yes, and if you compare the total energy dumped into the
ionosphere by ham radio operators even during a contest, it's
a piddle compared to what the international broadcasters
are pumping out into their curtain arrays on most days. And if
such an effect were present, it could easily be ferreted out
with a carefully controlled experiment. I see no evidence as
of yet that the subject experiment was carefully controlled
(aside from perhaps s-meter calibration).