[Amps] 10dB and propagation

Harold B. Mandel ka1xo at juno.com
Mon Feb 7 17:15:12 EST 2005

Sirs,

Entropy might be a poor choice of words in this
situation, but it is a collateral consideration
alongside "Conservation of Energy."

While one learned commenter says that
the ionosphere is "conditioned," another
disputes whether any RF source could
affect the atmosphere.

If there is an attenuation process between
the transmitting source and the receiver,
the energy imparted to the atmosphere
is somehow attenuating it, and not the
physical sending or receiving equipment.

Even if we used dish parabolae in a line-of-sight
configuration, with no attempt at ionospheric
reflection, there will still be an attenuation.

So while we may not be able to focus RF energy
in a coherent fashion such as laser optics we
will experience a diffusion, won't we?

Does this then mean that every transmission is
contributing to the heat-death of the universe?

Hal Mandel
W4HBM