[Amps] Re: 10dB and propagation

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Thu Feb 10 17:17:24 EST 2005

R. Measures wrote:

>> Rich,
>> how about submitting the results as a paper to a peer-reviewed
>> scientific journal?
>

> Why bother?  I saw it, but others saw it long before I did.  0.5
> S-unit  / 3db is no big deal.

IF (and I personally doubt it) the effect is real, then I suspect it
would have a LOT of implications  far beyond amateur radio enthusiasts
gaining an extra half an S-point when their amplifiers are switched in.

Whilst knowing nothing much professionally about atmospheric research, I
suspect it would have huge implications for people working in that area.
I would suspect a lot of linear models would have to be changed for more
complex non-linear ones. I'm sure a lot of chemistry would have to be
rethought. It might cast doubt on some global warming predictions.

Previous scientists have made contributions you use each day (Ohm,
Maxwell, etc), so perhaps you should put something back.

You say others saw it long before you did, but they have not justified
it either.

>> I'm sure many would be interested to read this if you got it
>> published  in a peer reviewed professional journal - not an amateur one.
>

> My peers are Hams.

But you are having trouble convincing many hams.  Some are obviously
very convinced, Others like myself less so. If the results could be
justified and presented in a peer reviewed journal, it would I'm sure
generate professional interest. It would soon get reported in a ham
journal, but with a bit more credibility than if it had been written in
QST or similar.

If published in the IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation then,
others would try to reproduce this. Hopefully someone can explain it.

You say you are not the first to see it, but you would be the first to
report it.

Each time someone has cast doubt on any aspect of it (such as attenuator
calibration), you have not chose to ignore it, but to reply and answer
their doubts. So why not do this is a more professional way, where
hopefully the referees would pick up on any areas not justified and give
you chance to address them.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB