[Amps] Magnet wire stripper

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Sun Feb 27 14:58:25 EST 2005

David,

That's perfectly acceptable if it's used in a low heat project. That type of
wire has several trade names, the most used one being "Sodereze" and
Soderon". This is the type that Rat Shack and others carry in the small
spools. The problem is, in CCS duty transformers and other applications
where heat is a concern, you can't use it. Sodereze was primarily made for
the radio-TV industry to be used in low power coils where possible high heat
wasn't a problem. They use this a lot in the small, cheap, mass produced
12-24 Vac transformers. They use another form of it in TV deflection yokes
(self-bonding). Formvar carries about the same ratings and is named
Polyvinyl Acetal except it wont melt at soldering temperature. The
polyesters and polyimides are what's used for CCS service transformers and
motors. Last, Sodereze doesn't have as high of a dielectric strength as does
Formvar (about X2). For CCS you need something like "ML" or "Pyre-ML" which
is a polymere or an aromatic polymide resin. It's rated at 5700 volts and
240 deg. C. Fromvar has about the same voltage rating but a lower heat at
180 deg. C. Sodereze has 1/2 the voltage (2525 volts) rating and about 180
deg. C. The temperatures are their maximum operating temperatires, not where
they will melt at.

The industrial strippers use either two stones or wire brushes turning
against each other. The wire is put between the wheels and rotated. These
abrade the insulation off. The problem is, they are boo-koos expensive. To
me, $15 aint a lot to pay for a stripper which will be used a lot if your
doing this kind of work all the time like I do. Of course one could make one
of these to if they had a small thin piece of steel flat. If for just a one
time use, I'd use a knife blade or similar to scrape it off. Anyhow, hope
this helps some in what the differences are.

Best,

Will