[Amps] Elmer me on high power solid state amplifier design?

wc6w at juno.com wc6w at juno.com
Wed Jan 5 13:34:15 EST 2005

-- "Dan Levin" <djl at andlev.com> wrote:
>I have (once again) become enamored with the idea of designing (and
>building, I hope) a solid state amplifier for 160 - 10 meter use.

Hi Dan,
  Time to join a 12-step group to control those desires!?  :-)

>Ideally, this amplifier would deliver 1500 watts output in contest use >with 100 watts or less drive, produce output that is as spectrally >clean as a tube amp, and cost less than an auto-tune tube amp by quite >a bit.

  Low cost & high performance are not best buddies.

>Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about solid state design :-)

  A great starting point!

  Perhaps it would be easier to buy an old Collins HF-8020 series amp.?

>I've read a few of the Motorola app notes written by Helge Granberg, >and looked at a few designs that use MRF-150's and SC2879's on various >web sites.  I am aware of the issues of output harmonic filtering, >lightening protection, SWR protection, etc. – none of that has >discouraged me yet ☺

  Not much has changed in the last 25 years.

>I have a bunch of (what I am sure are) fairly simple (and likely, in >some cases, fairly dumb) questions - but no one to ask them of.

>If you would be willing to chat with me a bit (by email) on this >subject, please let me know.  I would appreciate it very much.

  Sure... I've been tinkering a KW transistor thingy together over the past few years and I have researched many configurations...

>Thanks, and best Happy New Year to all,

>   ***dan, K6IF

73 & Happy New Year,
  Marv WC6W

P.S. -- If your QRZ listing is up-to-date, you're just up the hill from my aunt.

*