[Amps] 50 or 60 Hz, a problem?

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Mon Jan 10 12:25:45 EST 2005

Al,

A 50 Hz transformer is a larger beast than a 60 Hz (more iron in it for
the same power out). Really, you can say a 50 Hz transformer is a 50/60
Hz but not vice-versa. In other terms, the core would most likely go
into saturation running a 60 Hz transformer on 50 Hz, but a 50 Hz
running at 60 Hz would run normally and a bit cooler. This is mainly due
to the maximum flux density changing as frequency drops.

Will

I have a friend that lives in Cyprus and he is looking for an amp.
I was just wondering, I have seen transformers that say 50Hz and some
that say 60Hz and some that say 50/60Hz.  I'm trying to help him find an
amp and was wondering what difference there would be between the 50Hz
and the 60Hz as far as operating them on a different Hz then what is
stated on the equipment?  I'm not sure what they use in Cyprus, I am
waiting to here back from him on that.

                                    Thanks, Al, N7IOH