[Amps] 50 or 60 Hz, a problem?

R.Measures r at somis.org
Tue Jan 11 06:06:29 EST 2005

On Jan 10, 2005, at 11:51 PM, Steve Thompson wrote:

> Will Matney wrote:
>> Bob,
>>
>> That settles it then, I'd say Heath built about everything with 50 Hz
>> transformers, or at least after a certain year I imagine.
>
> In amps where it matters (probably those with external anode tubes
> rather
> than Heath stuff), beware of blower ratings. The loss of pressure and
> airflow at 50Hz instead of 60Hz can be significant if the cooling
> capacity
> is marginal.

The speed of the shaded-pole, current-limiting fan motor in a SB-220 is
largely a function of air-resistance to the fan blade.  Hence, a
SB220's fan blade spins faster in 12,000ft high, 50Hz La Paz than it
does in sea-level 60Hz Boston.  And, as a result, the CFM is
semi-constant with changes in air-density.  As I see it, the SB-220's
design is simple, yet sophisticated.

cheers, Steve