[Amps] Re: L networks

G3rzp at aol.com G3rzp at aol.com
Tue Jan 11 10:47:57 EST 2005

G3SEK said:

>But just because an ideal transformer can match impedances >with an even lower loaded Q, we cannot automatically assume >the same will be true for the link-coupled windings in a >typical Matchbox.

The matchbox does end up with variable Q, especially when you get a reactive component. Link coupling really needs a tight coupling so that hopefully the leakage reactance is minimised. This usually means few turns, tightly coupled. the Z match does the same, and under some loads, gets enough circulating current such that at 400 watts, the solder melts and the coils drop off - at least, in the KW one.

And yes, I did leave Zverev behind......

73

Peter G3RZP