[Amps] Small Amplifier

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Tue Jan 18 10:33:30 EST 2005

I have seen where some tried running the cathode driven. However they
weren't straight G-G as they used some screen voltage and a bias. They
don't run too hot this way in my opinion. But, they carry a lot of whollop
when running four as grid driven with very little drive. Most amateur amps
using this setup had an attenuator in the grid circuit to allow a
transceiver with standard output to drive them. The first one of these I'd
built, I can remember remarking, "Now that will walk the dogs and lead the
pups" :) If I were to build again, I would have to use a couple of
4CX800's though. Way less expensive and easier to fabricate.

Will