[Amps] Grid driven Multi-band amp using 4-1000

R.Measures r at somis.org
Wed Jan 19 13:36:37 EST 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 8:07 AM, Harold B. Mandel wrote:

> Dear Steve,
>
> Neutralization of tetrodes provides a better match between
> the driver and Power Amplifier, and also serves to protect
> the PA from deleterious oscillations.
>
> With the cost of a replacement tetrode weighed against
> the cost of materials, (inductor, capacitors, etc) of a
> neutralization circuit it almost seems effective to
> incorporate it in the design.

Amen, Hal.  After consulting a number of "amplifier experts" about my
original 4cx5000A project -- a.k.a. Plywood Box #1), I was told that
neutralization was not necessary with a Cag (feedback-C) of "only" 1pF.
and a 450-ohm grid termination.   This turned out to not be the case,
so I retrofitted a Bruene neutralization bridge, and revised my
"experts" list.

cheers