[Amps] Want to build first amp

Tony King - W4ZT amps at w4zt.com
Thu Jan 20 05:46:07 EST 2005

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:
> Jan Erik Holm wrote:
>
>> GS35b costs MUCH less then 8877´s or 3CX1200 tubes.
>> For a 160-6m amp I would try a GS35b any day.
>>
> Me too.
>
> Don't ever get sucked into using a particular tube or transformer, just
> because it's free. <snip>

I agree too. It is very ambitious to attempt to cover 6 meters within
your 160-10 meter amp. Switching and layout become a major concern. The
simplicity of a GS-35B triode G-G amp makes it very appealing to build
six meters as a second amp. You can do this and use one HV supply for
both. Cost of components is small for an add-on single band amp once you
have the HF deck and HV power supply complete.  73, Tony W4ZT