[Amps] Want to build first amp

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 04:17:40 EST 2005

Jan Erik Holm wrote:
>GS35b costs MUCH less then 8877´s or 3CX1200 tubes.
>For a 160-6m amp I would try a GS35b any day.

Me too.

Don't ever get sucked into using a particular tube or transformer, just
because it's free. Maybe I've been unlucky, but I have always found that
to be a big mistake! After building the whole project around a key
component that wasn't actually the right one for the job... it didn't
work, or certainly not as well as I'd hoped for.

It is always far better to *choose* the key components you really
need... and if you can get them for free, then that's a bonus. But free
components should never be allowed to dictate the whole project.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek