[Amps] High C out

Dennis12Amplify at aol.com Dennis12Amplify at aol.com
Fri Jan 21 14:03:41 EST 2005

In a message dated 1/21/05 12:49:50 PM Central Standard Time,
vic at rakefet.com writes:

Nope,  he's talking about adding some inductance between the plate and the
tune-C, making a kind of "L-Pi" (or L-Pi-L!) network.  The idea is  that with
very high plate load impedances it may be impossible to get a  low-enough
minimum
capacity in the tune-C to permit a reasonably low  Q.  Adding some inductance
before the Pi network pre-transforms the  load impedance to a lower value so
practical capacitor can be  used.

I agree.

 He's creating a two stage impedance transformer.

 I'm sorry but I consider a Pi network a Pi network no matter which  end is
connected to where; and I know that the large C is on the low impedance  side
of the impedance transformer. I did't realize I was in error calling it a  Pi-L
network instead of an L-Pi network, but I guess I can see where some may  get
confused. I DID state that the PLATE C became the new TUNE C in  that
configuration.
 I have used it myself in some cases to UP-CONVERT impedances to  obtain a
reasonable tank Q.
 A good example being multiple sweep tubes in parallel where the total  plate
capacitance is greater than 50 PFD. I have also used similar  circuitry to
match the Collector impedance from the output of a single  ended transistor
amplifier before we started using broad band transformers to do  the impedance
matching, but once again that was for converting a low impedance  to a higher one.

Dennis O.