[Amps] OT help

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sun Jan 23 11:52:11 EST 2005

Roger D Johnson wrote:

> I recently tried to scan some Eimac tube datasheets for
> David Kirby's website. I am using a HP OfficeJet 6110
> with the supplied HP Director software which has a save
> to PDF function. I found that some of the graphs in the
> datasheets were "rotated" to what the program thinks is
> the proper orientation. This happens when saving to PDF
> and HTML formats. If I save as JPG, GIF, TIFF, etc; all
> is well. I've spent several days exchanging emails with
> HP tech support to no avail. I don't know where they are
> located but their English is funny and they seem to be
> completely unable to understand the problem. So, my
> question is; does anyone know of a free or inexpensive
> scanner program that will save scans as a PDF document?
>
> Thanks and 73, Roger

Thanks Roger for trying - sorry it is causing you a hassle. TIFF files
are fine.

The way I convert to PDF is as follows, but I use UNIX hardware and free
software. So my methods are not typical.

If you can just get me TIFF files, I can do the work from there. Just
email the TIFF files, or if they are too big I'll give you a login on a
UNIX system where you can use ssh to transfer the files. You will need
to use an ssh client - a nice windoze one, which is free for
non-commercial use is:

http://ftp.ssh.com/pub/ssh/SSHSecureShellClient-3.2.9.exe

Anyway, this is what I do - you will have to adapt a bit for Windoze.

a) Scan - I use an Epson PErfection 1200S SCSI scanner on a Sun
workstation. I use 'gimp' as software. Gimp is free. 'sane' (Scanner
Access Made Easy) is used too. Sane is free (of course!!) Both Gimp and
Sane are available on Windoze.

b) Take any large sections of white and put a box around that and fill
it with white. This ensures the region looks good, and really is white.
It makes files smaller too. Having hole punch holes does not only look
too good, but it makes the files bigger.

c) Save to Postscript (.ps) format.

d) Use 'ghostscript' and the file 'ps2pdf' to convert multiple ps pages
to one pdf page. (I acutally use a slightly modified version of ps2pdf,
but the basic principle is the same. Ghostscript is available on Windoze
too, although I use it under UNIX.

I suspect there are easier ways, but Gimp, Sane and Ghostscript are all
free - commercial use included.

When I wrote my PhD thesis I wrote it in Wordperfect for DOS. I tried
printing to Postscript and using the Acrobat pdf writer. But this kept
failing, with numerous errors. Then I tried the free Ghostscript and
managed to convert each chapter to a pdf file.

Anyway, TIFF files will do. Postscript should in principle do, but I
can't make any changes in that too easily.

I think the problem with a lot of Windoze software now is it is designed
to be 'idiot proof'. It tries to correct any error the user makes, but
this often causes more hassle for the more intelligent user. I like
software that does not make too many assumptions, and those it does make
it lets me override.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB