[Amps] Amp question

Karl-Arne Markström sm0aom at telia.com
Tue Jul 26 10:46:23 EDT 2005

A "conventional combiner" is more often than not a "zero-degree combining network".

For a through discussion of power dividers and combiners take a look at:
http://www.minicircuits.com/appnote/an10006.pdf, and also pp 498 - 510
in "Single Sideband Systems & Circuits" 2nd edition.

It is the designer's choice if the combining system should be zero-degree or 180-degree,
but as it simplifies construction and testing somewhat the zero-degree
approach appears to be usually taken.

A special case is when you use 90-degree hybrids to absorb load reflections, but
they seem to be not so very common for multi-octave combiner networks, as those encountered in HF
amplifiers.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM