[Amps] Help, My SB-220 is sick

Greg S oldlongbeard at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 21:35:58 EDT 2005

Well, after several years of good service, I have a
problem. I turned the amp on tonight, and was greeted
with a "whine" (for lack of better term), and I
thought (imagined?) I saw a spark from underneath. I
quickly turned the switch back off, and got calmed
down. I took her out of the cabinet, and find no
obvious visual problems, so back on with the inside
cover, and quickly turn it on and off remotely from
the breaker box. Still have the noise, and it shows HV
going up, and PLate current starts to move up as I
chicken out, and turn power back off. The noise starts
to subside after power off, and becomes a "click", as
the HV on the meter goes back to zero. The Click slows
down in frequency as the HV approaches Zero, also
bouncing in relation to each click. My thinking is the
"whine" is just these clicks at a high rate of speed.
I am not afraid to begin to troubleshoot the old gal,
but was wondering if anyone had Ideas of "1st thing I
would check" type of things, given the poor
description of symptoms above. It does this every time
I turn it on. I only have it on about 1 second before
shutting it down again. Sorry this is so long. Thanks
for the help, and have fun at Field Day!!
73- Greg Schippers, KC8HXO