[Amps] hp 8405a operations ??

Dan Sawyer dansawyer at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 10 09:43:16 EST 2005

All,

Based on input here and other places I purchased an 8405A. I have also
found a pdf for the service manual on line so have some idea about how
to use it. That said I have a very low level question regarding
connecting the probes. I constructed a very simple phase system by
connecting a 500 MHz 0db source to two 6 foot 50 ohm cables connected
together and terminated in 50 ohms. I connected one probe to the signal
at the terminator and one probe at the junction of the 2 cables. This
effectively should measure the phase of a 500 MHz signal over 6 feet.

The long and the short of it is this seemed to work. The unit locked in
and measured the phase. That said the actual connecting the probes was
very awkward. This unit has only the bear point at the probe tips.
making a connection is problematic. Does HP have "probe ends" that can
"lock" on? Does anyone know if these tips are "standard" in the HP line?

Sorry for such a simple question but getting the instrument to read
consistently is the first step in using it.

Dan