[Amps] nylons

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Tue Mar 15 14:52:09 EST 2005

R. Measures wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2005, at 1:04 AM, David Kirkby wrote:
>
>> RICHARD GEORGE wrote:
>>
>>> Put some in your microwave oven and see what happens.
>>>
>> I see this advice given out a lot, but unless I am mistaken it is
>> flawed.
>>
>> Microwave ovens work by emitting energy at a frequency (I believe
>> around
>> 2.4GHz) where there is a water absorption peak (due I think to the
>> resonance of the two oxygen atoms).
>

> Water has two oxygen atoms?

Sorry, two hydrogen ones.

BTW, here's a joke someone told me recently, which that comment reminded
me of.

There are two hydrogens atoms in a water molecule.

One hydrogen atom says to the other "I have lost an electron".
The second hydrogen atom, says "Don't be silly, you have not lost an
electron.".
The first one then says "Yes, I have lost an electron -  I'm positive."

>> So if a plastic had a lot of water
>> in it, it would get hot if fed with 2.4GHz.
>

>  I have melted nylon with 7MHz RF, but I never tried it at 2.4GHz.
> However, D-factor typically increases as freq. increases.

I make no claim about the losses of nylon at RF, since I do not know its
properties.  I'm only saying that testing at one frequency does not tell
you much about losses at another frequency.

In any case, there are different types of nylon. Perhaps with a search
of the internet, one might find some properly measured data, but unless
you know the exact source of the nylon, testing it yourself at the
frequency of interest is probably the best way.

I think you are right in saying loss does tend to increase with
frequency for solids at RF, although that graph for water clearly shows
the relationship is far from simple - for water at least.  It may be
simpler for plastics at radio frequencies. But I think this idea of
relying on a microwave oven in unlikely to be a very valid test,
especially given it is around 100 to 1000x higher in frequency than your
HF amp.

G8WRB