[Amps] nylons

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Tue Mar 15 19:59:27 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 07:52:09PM +0000, David Kirkby wrote:

<snip>

> >  I have melted nylon with 7MHz RF, but I never tried it at 2.4GHz.
> > However, D-factor typically increases as freq. increases.
>

> I make no claim about the losses of nylon at RF, since I do not know its
> properties.  I'm only saying that testing at one frequency does not tell
> you much about losses at another frequency.
>
> In any case, there are different types of nylon. Perhaps with a search
> of the internet, one might find some properly measured data, but unless
> you know the exact source of the nylon, testing it yourself at the
> frequency of interest is probably the best way.

I dug around my bookshelf and found a bit of data in the ITT Reference
Data for Radio Engineers (4th Edition, 1956, aka "the green bible"):

Nylon 610 (polyhexamethylene-adipamide)

Freq.	Dielectric Constant	Dissipation Factor (~loss tangent)

60 Hz		3.7			.018
1 Khz		3.50			.0186
1 MHz		3.14			.0218
100 MHz		3.0			.0200
3 GHz		2.84			.0117

This is quite a bit lossier than teflon or polystyrene.  From the same
table, nylon will start to distort at 65° C.

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          n7xy (at) n7xy.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.n7xy.net