[Amps] Bird Element Calibration?

Mark Hill g4fph at mjha.co.uk
Mon Mar 21 04:12:34 EST 2005

Phil,

Further to my post of yesterday.

Last night, I briefly checked the response of a Bird 2500H at 4, 3, 2, 1.8
and 1.6 MHz.  The readings I took were (for a nominal 1 kW CW RF) 1050,
1100, 1030, 1000, 900 respectively.  I suspect the readings of 1100 and 900
reflect the lack of gain flatness of my TX rather than calibration bumps of
the insert, although I did not have time to confirm this.

Looks pretty good to me!

Regards.

Mark.

>At 22:26 19/03/2005, Phil Clements wrote:
> >Just a note for my fellow 160 meter operators. The 2-30 mhz Bird slugs are
> >VERY inacurate below 2 mhz. At 1.8 mhz they read so low that you think you
> >have amp problems or terrible efficiency. I once worked for hours on an amp
> >to try to get the power output up to the level it was on 80 meters. I even
> >went so far as putting in a plate choke with more L. All this time, the
> >actual 160 meter output was > 80 meters! I hope this might save someone some
> >grief that has'nt run into this yet!
> >
> >(((73)))
> >Phil, K5PC

Mark Hill - G4FPH
E-mail: g4fph at mjha.co.uk
Current web pages at: www.qsl.net/g4fph
Old web pages at: www.g4fph.freeserve.co.uk
Dipoles resonant on 1942/3695/7065 kHz
2 ele delta loop beam resonant on 14180 kHz
Remember - SIDE for HV safety:
S witch off
I solate
D ump