[Amps] RMS VS Peak VS Average power and the Bird 43 wattmeter

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Mon Mar 28 19:11:47 EST 2005

I can see some people getting nervous already. :>)

Not being an expert either, I believe what happens is the time constant
in the meter is setup to respond to RF frequencies. When the audio is
introduced with an AM signal the low frequency audio envelope voltage
swings above and below the carrier reference. The meter tends to average
things out. As you remember the average voltage of a sine wave is zero.
This is what it is trying to see with the modulation envelope.

On SSB there is no such envelope. It is only the rf frequencies present
that go from zero to maximum peak.

73
Gary  K4FMX