[Amps] RMS VS Peak VS Average power and the Bird 43 wattmeter

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Tue Mar 29 00:42:50 EST 2005

Dennis12Amplify at aol.com wrote:

>For the EXPERTS.....,
>
> I have a question which I believe will combign the two most  interesting and
>informative threads we have had going here on the reflector  for quite some
>time.
>
> Why is it that a Bird 43 with a calibrated peak reading kit only  reads
>THREE times the power for a peak reading of a 100% modulated AM  waveform, instead
>of FOUR times the power as the textbooks all say it  should?

My first thought is to wonder whether the electrical output terminals of
the element are capable of responding quickly?

The element will no doubt consist of a diode to rectify the RF, a
resistor to develop the current into (otherwise the diode is not going
to work), then *possibly* some capacitance to smooth this before passing
it to the meter. If I were the designer of the element, when I thought
the idea was to feed a physical meter, I would add some capacitance, to
reduce any chance of RF getting into the circuit on the 'DC' side. The
designer had no idea someone was going to come along with a peak reading
kit years later.

I would guess the rise time of the physical meter (with its mechanical
movement) is of the order of a 100ms or so. Now if the rise/fall times
(from 10 to 90%) of the elements are even 100x faster (1 ms) an after
market kit (or the fastest scope on earth) is not going to see the peaks
properly throughout the audio (to 3 kHz) range. Only if the rise/fall
times of the element is around 200us or less can you reasonably expect
the element to be capable of accurately reproducing the peaks of an
audio (to 3 kHz) signal.

Secondly, how does the calibrated kit work? Does it simply hang across
the meter terminals, then you push a button and it displays what the
peak value was? If so, the inductance of the meter will limit this.

Also, have you verified with a scope that 100% modulation is being
achieved?

If you keep the modulation depth constant (as verified with a scope),
does the kit perform more poorly as you increase the frequency of
modulation? That would indicate the time constant of the elements is not
fast enough - unless of course the kit is so badly designed that the kit
limits the performance.

So I have no idea why the kit does not work as you expect, but can think
of many reasons why it might not.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB