[Amps] MLA-2500B Question

Karl-Arne Markström sm0aom at telia.com
Thu Mar 31 01:47:14 EST 2005

An automatic tuner feeding a cathode driven amplifier
using a shunt capacitor across the input terminals will work.

But the capacitive susceptance shunting the input will have to be considerably
less than the amplifier input conductance, in order to have an energy storage large enough to
prevent waveform distorsion on the fundamental frequency, and bypassing the harmonic
components of the plate current to ground at their source.

When connected to the driver through a piece of coax,
the tuning network will "see" an impedance with a phase angle
that is dependent on the electrical length of the cable.
As long as the network has a matching range large enough to tune out the reactances
and match the resistive parts everything will work in the "steady-state" domain.

Another aspect is that the real part of the input impedance of a cathode driven amplifier
is dependent on drive level. The "ordinary" automatic tuners are not designed to match into non-linear impedances,
so their tuning algorithms usually work on the assumption that the magnitude and phase of the load impedance is constant.
A drive level dependent load impedance may present an impossible matching situation
for a tuner and cause it to be non-convergent or "hunt".

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM