[Amps] Plate transformer current unknown

Angelo Karabetsos ve3yn at hotmail.com
Tue May 3 08:05:06 EDT 2005

I am unable to calculate anything to do with windings or core due to the
fact it is in a metal case encapsulated in black epoxy. I discovered this
after removing the lid. I'll say one thing, it's darn heavy and hard to move
around without anywhere to grab. The secondary wire gauge looks to be about
18ga and the dimensions are 11"x9"x10" and has a RCA nameplate. Not too much
more information I can determine. Now I know what to look for at flea
markets.
One other question. What should the B+ voltage be after rectification. Lets
say 3000v secondary through a fullwave bridge rectifier and a bank of ten
470uf 450v caps? I read somewhere to multiply by 0.9 and that should be a
good rule of thumb. What I am trying to determine is how to calculate the
proper transformer for the job and keep voltage drop under load to
respectable figure. Not an easy task to figure out with surplus parts.

Angelo

>From: "Will Matney" <craxd1 at ezwv.com>
>To: amps at contesting.com
>Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate transformer current unknown
>Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:28:25 -0400
>
>Angelo,
>
>Really you cant tell that way (using the resistance) unless you know the
mean lenght of turn, how many turns per layer, and how many layers they are
in the winding. This then would give you how long the wire is and you could
then use the resistance and the length to determine the wire size. If it's
possible to use a micrometer or a wire gauge to see what the secondary wire
size is, then one can find out what its rating is. In amateur service, ICAS
used anywhere from 700 to 900 circular mils per ampere. CCS uses anyhwere
from say 1000 to 1200 cir. mil. per amp. If you can find the wire size, go
look at a wire chart for how many circular mils it has and divide by the
above numbers to determine its current carrying ability. IE, 10,000 circular
mils running at 1000 cir mil per amp = 10 amperes.

>Best,
>
>Will

>On 4/29/05 at 3:01 PM Angelo Karabetsos wrote:
>
> >I would like to find out the current rating of a transformer.
Primary
> >voltage taps 0v-110v-115v-208v-230v and secondary taps
3450v-0v-3450v and
> >secondary resistance of 53.5ohms from 0v to 3450v tap and 107ohms
from
> >3450v
> >to 3450v tap. All measurements done with a simple DMM. The
commercial
> >amplifier it came out of has a plate current meter with a max
reading of
> >600ma. How could I find out the CCS or ICAS rating?
> >Cheers Angelo

> >Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft®
SmartScreen