[Amps] How to replace lamps on AL811 Ameritron?

carl seyersdahl carlseye at tampabay.rr.com
Sat May 21 08:27:06 EDT 2005

 Otakebi : I have done a few of these things in the past. It is fairly easy,
BUT, it must be done very carefully.
  First of all, don't replace the bulbs with the original types because they
will likely burn out again (very soon)
   I used hi-brightness white led's and they seemed to work just fine.I
don't remember what value resistor I used in series but you can figure that
one out. I wired in a resistor on the back side of the meter.!!
   Here's the fun part.!!
   first , disconnect the meter and remove it from the panel.
  Look closely at the sides (4 of them) and you'll see the back half has
four little ears (very little about 1/32 inch) that fit into four little
slots in the front cover of the meter.
  Lay the meter flat on it's face on something soft, so you don't scratch
the face. Get four razor blades, push each one into the edge of the meter
right beside those little ears where they fit into the slots.
  Be very careful you don't use much pressure so you don't break the front
cover. ( The front cover is NOT glued on, unless some else has tried this
and maybe broke one or more ear slots.
  With just a little luck the razor blades will be thick enough to open the
front cover just enough to let it come off when you insert that fourth
blade. I have done this operation quite a few times , and of course I've
also broken aslot or two on the front cover!!!
   ( Hey, !! I'm not perfect either )
     I don't know what it is about the original bulbs, but many people have
had the same problem with that amp.
 If you want you can also use any color led you want, just to dress things
up a bit.!!! One time I used green , another red, ETC :
 But I think you get the idea.!!!
   fitting the led's in there isn't much of a chore if you give it a little
thought.!!
   No one ever complained about my work in that respect, all were happy as
far as I know.
   Anyway, this short book should help you, and if you need more help or
explanations , feel free to e-mail me.!!
   Have a good day all.!!!!
      carl / kz5ca