[Amps] SB-220 load capacitor question

johna8119-amps@yahoo.com johna8119-amps at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 21:09:46 EST 2005

I should probably be ashamed to ask this.  I have this SB-220 that I have been unmodifying, and I
have run into a situation that I am wondering about.

When I tune this rig up, with excitor power anywhere from 5-100 w, I have to turn the load
capacitor fully clockwise (unmeshed) to maximize power output.  I'm getting decent power out with
it.  Could this be due to the 50 ohm dummy load I'm working into?  Is it a good thing to have
"full" loading?

I have another SB-220, and it does the same thing, either into the dummy load or into an MFJ
antenna tuner.  Somehow I don't remember this being the case on this second amplifier until it
started on the one I mention above.  I do not recall reading that these Heathkits are subject to
contageous diseases.

Thanks
John
w4kv