[Amps] Henry 3kA Choke input Pwr Supply Overvoltage Query

w2cqm@juno.com w2cqm at juno.com
Fri Nov 18 09:21:25 EST 2005

Since I'm relatively unfamiliar with the characteristics of a vintage
Henry 3KA choke input power supply, perhaps someone would comment on a
question that has arisen regarding what appears to be  too high an output
plate  voltage. The Henry is equipped with a 10Hy fixed choke tuned with
a .1mFd @ 7500VDC capacitor. The diode configuration is full wave bridge
with the choke wired in series and situated before the filter capacitor;
for a typical choke input circuit. All components are OEM Henry.  A Plate
transformer output is 3300VAC with a nominal  input rating of 230VAC.
There's a 4  terminal manual step start power up switch (position 1-off),
  voltage fed through resistance wire in position 2 for the soft start,
a  CW tap (position 3 which shorts out the resistance), and a  third SSB
tap, position 4.  In the no load  CW position, DC voltage is over 4KV and
in the SSB (higher tap) position the plate voltage is close to 5KV.
Henry only provides a  full scale plate meter calibrated for 4KV so the
dial deflection obviously   is off scale. These high voltage values are
verified independently  with a calibrated  Triplett  meter. In addition,
they appear to be significantly  higher than  the levels suggested in the
operator's manual.  Tested the choke for resistance (about 56 ohms) and
the tuning capacitor is not shorted. My primary voltage is somewhat
higher (248VAC) so that may account for some of the overvoltage. However,
to my mind, the resulting operating voltage is at least 800-900VDC too
high and of course is causing some concern. I've verified that the wiring
is correct and I'm asking for any comments that may explain the higher
levels of plate voltage. Any comments would be appreciated. Ron W2CQM/3