[Amps] 220V wiring: Was Question about safety ground connection

R.Measures r at somis.org
Fri Nov 18 09:56:03 EST 2005

On Nov 18, 2005, at 4:51 AM, Peter Chadwick wrote:

> Rich said:
>
> >As I understand it, Ian, an arc-fault circuit breaker has a RF
> detector
> operating a disconnect device.<
>
> Unless it operates at a reasonably high field strength (at least
> 10v/m), not only radio amateurs but people living relatively close to
> an amateur or mobile radio base station, maybe even a cellular base
> station, or a broadcast station could have trouble.

Surely, but isn't it more important to have additional safety instead
of dependable electricity?

> Especially the latter. I remember staying at a hotel somewhere in the
> US where the local TV station tower was in the hotel grounds - and,
> judging by the base insulator and the the two other towers carefully
> spaced from it, was a BC band radiator too. That would sort out such a
> device!

But at least there would more safety.

> Regrettably, it appears to me that my professional brethren, both in
> the power side of the industry and those in the IT side, have so
> little understanding of  radio and the effects that it can have on
> badly designed equipment, as well as vice versa,  that their naivety
> is actually dangerous. Nearly as bad as the so called 'safety'
> experts, who are often even more dangerous -  a bit like 'security
> experts'. Certainly in the UK and EU in general, the tendency is not
> so much as to promote safe habits of work as to modify work such that
> safe habits aren't needed. Which is all very well until something goes
> wrong......

Indeed, Ian, indeed.  A good example is the safety being provided by G.
W.'s highly touted "Patriot Act" wherein public libraries are required
to report to G. W.'s Homeland Security Dept. the identity of those who
check out books about explosives.  Thus, terrorists who want to find
out how to make an explosive from common chemicals -- such as acetone
and hydrogen peroxide - or ammonia and iodine, would be well advised to
go their public library, find the requisite book, photocopy the pages
of interest on the library's dime-a-page xerox machine, depart with
said copies, thank the librarian on the way out, and go shopping on the
way home.

cheerz