[Amps] 220V wiring: Was Question about safety ground connection

Gudguyham@aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Sun Nov 20 06:52:27 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/19/2005 6:31:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
baycock at direcway.com writes:

That  thing tells nothing about HOW the thing works- it reads like it was
written by an Ad Flack, not a technical person.  If you find a real
description, I would like to see  it.
Bill-W4BSG

Bill, Indeed that piece told how the unit works.  If you missed it, it  said
that the arc fault breaker monitors the current on the line being drawn by
the circuit.  If there are minute fluctuations of current ie: sparking or
arcing the breaker shuts down.  In normal use of current the variations are
"smooth" if you will.  In the case of arcing the variations are more rough,  the
breaker senses this and shuts down.  This was explained in the link I  sent you
to.  It also went on to say that the "one time arc" of a light  switch turning
on or a plug being plugged in with a load on it will not trip the  breaker
because if is a "one time" occurrence.  There needs to be more of  the arcing in
a shorter period of time to have it shut down.  I suppose if  you switched on
the light switch quick enough in a short time, it might trip,  but I am not
sure if that "waveform" would be rough enough to shut it  down.  Since these
breakers are relatively new and the code does not  require them yet in ALL areas
of the US I have not had any experience with them  yet.  However, I have heard
from my other electrician friends that have,  that they are a "nightmare".
Indeed many  a house fires have started  as a result of arcing of poor
connections at outlets and switches.  Since  it is not an over current situation a
regular breaker will not catch this  problem and a fire can result.  MANY older
houses were wired with "back  stab only" devices.  In the case of the "back
stab only" outlet that one  plugs a vacuum cleaner into everyday (some women are
anal about this) eventually  the connection loosens up and begins to arc,
hence, any other load that is also  connected downstream or at the same outlet
will continue to arc the connection,  heat is generated and the wire starts to
burn, if conditions are right a fire  can start from the high temperatures the
arc has caused on the wire.  Many  old outlet boxes have dust in them and dust
can ignite quickly.  Needless  to say I DO NOT "back stab" any devices.  When
getting electrical estimates  you should specify "side wiring" or else the
"cheap" bid on the job will most  likely be back stabbed.  Fortunately however
newer devices will not accept  #12 wire as a back stab.  Its a start in the
right direction.  73  Louie W1QJ