[Amps] Millen dipper

W1GOR W1GOR at Maine.RR.Com
Sat Oct 1 12:02:59 EDT 2005

After owning various Millen 90651 Grid Dip Oscillators for more than 50
years, I've discovered that calibration errors are sometimes due to the
instrument being furnished with a different set of coils than originally
supplied by Millen.   I hadn't considered that as a significant issue until
buying a Measurements model 59 GDO at auction.  In the case of the
Measurements 59, each individual coil was serial numbered with the same
serial number as the tuning head/oscillator.  Although Millen did not
individually number the coils, the coil set that was originally supplied
with each GDO provided 'reasonable' frequency accuracy.  As mentioned by
others, these instruments are not intended to provide 'laboratory accuracy',
but are sufficiently accurate to determine the 'ball-park' frequency of a
resonant circuit.

By the way, the first Measurements 59 that I bought at auction had coils
that were obviously taken from several sets.  None of the coils had the same
number as the tuning head... Overall, the accuracy was very far out of spec.
I returned the GDO and received a refund, albeit not without a
fight...<grin>  Since then, I have purchased several other Measurements
model 59 GDO's and refurbed them for resale.  With matching coil sets, their
accuracy is well within original specifications.

The Millen 90651 and 90652 GDO's are 'reasonably' accurate when furnished
with their individual coil sets, although there is no way to determine the
accuracy until you compare each unit against a known signal source.
Occasionally, replacing the 9002 oscillator tube in the 90651 will improve
accuracy, but I haven't done this to enough units to claim this as a
universal 'fix'.  90651A's are slightly more accurate than the original
90651's.  The solid-state Millen 90652's that I've worked-on seem to be much
more accurate and stable than the older tube-type 90651's.

vy 73, Larry - W1GOR