[Amps] Ameritron AL-811H-- Again

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sun Oct 2 08:52:37 EDT 2005

On Oct 1, 2005, at 6:35 PM, k7fm wrote:

> " This was c. the same time that I found out that General
> Electric Medical had cancelled a contract with Dick because he failed
> to fix the problem of sudden 8877 failures in a MRI amplifier that he
> was manufacturing for G. E."
>
> As I recall, the "parasitic" problem with the Alpha amps occurred at
> exactly the same time that Eimac made a batch of bad ceramic tubes (in
> particular, the 8877).

True, but according to Dick, the (damned) heat dam problem lasted about
13 months, so it's an inadequate excuse.   When G. E. said there was a
design problem, Dick should have listened.  Afterall, Fyler was a G. E.
guy.   Also, Dick wasn't the only 8877 amplifier designer that ignored
feedback-C, on Friday I tested an 8877 that came from a Dentron
DTR-2000 and it exhibited gold-sputtering with the Joe Funderberg
(W6IHA) test.

> At the same time you were analyzing the problem, Eimac changed the
> construction of the tube.

Are you sure about this?

>  I am still amazed that your analysis of the parasitic problem in the
> Alpha amps resulted in reduced problems for Alpha owners, even though
> Alpha did not implement your ideas.

My ideas and analysis did not result in reduced problems for owners,
reducing the VHF-Q of the suppressors used in Alphas resulted in
reduced problems because less VHF-Q means less Rp, and that means less
VHF amplification.

The puzzle here is why do some people still believe that it okay for a
dampening device to have high Q?  This is like selecting a
shock-absorber for an automobile that is very springy and lively.

cheers, Colin