[Amps] air variable min C?

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sun Oct 2 12:58:12 EDT 2005

On Oct 2, 2005, at 9:02 AM, Scott Townley wrote:

> Regarding air-variable capacitors:
> Most folks refer to air-variable caps by their max C value, and
> sometimes
> include the plate gap and/or rated working voltage (particularly when
> selling them!)
> But much less frequently mentioned is the minimum C value, which of
> course
> is quite important in Ctune applications.
> It's surprising (to me, the uninitiated) how few "vintage" caps
> (Johnson,
> Millen, etc.) are suitable for say a single 3-500z amp without
> compromising
> the loaded Q at 28MHz.

Good point.  This was why Drake used a dual section Tune-C in the L-4B,
with one large section for medium and lower freqs and one small section
for higher freqs, especially 28MHz.
-
Another solution might be to add a fixed L between the anode and the
Tune-C so as to transform RL to a lower value on 28MHz, which would in
turn happily require more C at the input to the Pi.  A possible
additional benefit of such a design is that it would decrease the
anode's VHF resonance.  If this new resonance was below the grid's
resonant frequency (c. 89MHz for a 3-500Z), the grounded-grid would
start acting more like a shield than a sieve, and VHF stability at the
anode-resonance might improve.

> Or perhaps I am missing something.  ...

You didn't Scott.