[Amps] Energy stored in capacitor bank ?

Frank Goenninger DG1SBG frank_goenninger at t-online.de
Mon Oct 3 10:54:46 EDT 2005

Hi all:

I am finishing a power supply for a moderate amplifier (in terms of
this reflector).
As I am dealing with rather large caps I am wondering if am really
right when
calculating the stored energy in the bank:

I have 14 caps in series, each having a capacity of 4200 uF. The load
voltage for
the bank will be about 3250 V DC (calculated using Duncan Amps' PSU
Designer software).

Am I right in simply calculation the stored energy as

Cres = 4200 uF / 14 = 300 uF

W = 1/2 * C * U * U = 0,5 * 300 *10^-6 * 3250 V * 3250 V = 1,6 *10^3
J = 1,6 kJ

??

This seems a rather large value ....

73, Frank DG1SBG