[Amps] Is cleanliness next to God-liness?

R.Measures r at somis.org
Tue Oct 4 12:44:51 EDT 2005

On Oct 4, 2005, at 8:35 AM, Frank N. Haas wrote:

> Fellow AMPers:
>
> I just took delivery of 3 well used 3CX400A7/8874 ceramic power
> triodes. I
> bought them as spares for my recently purchased Alpha 78 amp.
>
> All 3 tubes are rather tarnished with many dark spots and no shine
> whatsoever.
>
> I want to test these tubes in my Alpha 78 to insure that all 3 work.
>
> Should I clean them before I install them??? If so, what is the
> recommended
> cleaning technique for these tubes?

Frank
Immerse them in diluted ammonia overnight - then polish them with Bon
Ami® cleanser, rinse and dry.  However, the 8874s should first be
high-potted to see if the gold-plating on the grid has sputtered.

> Are common "household" products like TARN-X, NEVR-DULL, BRASSO or the
> like
> appropriate??

These are aggressive cleaners.

> Is it even important that the tubes be clean?

For the Funderberg gold-sputter test, shiny clean matters not.
http://www.somis.org/Goldmeltballs.html