[Amps] Ameritron AL-1500 Problem

Mike Schatzberg cherokeehillfarm at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 5 10:24:37 EDT 2005

Jose:

Check the cable between the transceiver and the amp, or just replace it.

If this does not help, find the T/R relay in the amp, and clean the
contacts.  The relay contacts may be quite poor from hot switching.  The
high SWR at the input, gives a clue that the relay may not be closing and
switching properly.  Notice if the output contacts have been bent to cause
them to connect first before the input contacts close.  This is the
mechanical fix often used to avoid hotswitching the amp relay.

Naturally, check all the connections at the relay as well, perhaps there is
a cold solder joint there in one of the coaxial cable connections.

The fact that the amp worked perfectly, then didn't, then did, leads one to
believe that you may have a maintenance problem with the relay.  I always
change out the open frame relays to vacuum relays to avoid such problems
which arise eventually from the hotswitching.

73 and Happy Dxing,

Mike Schatzberg
WB2AJI