[Amps] 3-500 coolijng question

Gene Bigham jbigham2 at kc.rr.com
Mon Oct 10 17:06:31 EDT 2005

John,

The Henry 2K Classic X I have here runs a pair of 3-500's and has a squirrel cage blower pressurizing the lower cabinet with outlet up and through the tube sockets and associated glass chimneys.  I have not seen any problem with cooling the tubes in this particular amplifier.  The fan is a bit noisy though.  More importantly the filament voltage was on the high side of specification, so a large rheostat was purchased and fitted to the primary of the filament transformer to bring the filament voltage to the lower end and hence increase tube life.

Good luck
Gene Bigham