[Amps] alpha 87a and Pro II question

Gudguyham@aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Tue Oct 11 08:00:11 EDT 2005

Sounds like power spiking to me.  This was a problem that ICOM had for  some
time now.  No matter where you have the RF drive level set to, there  is an
instantaneous output of FULL POWER for a split second, then after  that split
second the power drops to the "set" level.  You have pretty much  proved this by
stating that when you use PTT and hesitate speaking for a second  and using
PTT on CW instead of vox. When you use vox or QSK there is drive power  present
as soon as the transmitter is energized and therefore you have full  power
for a split second.  You can only see this on an O scope since the  time factor
is milliseconds.  The trip circuit in the amp will pick this  up.  Just for
fun, try using a different radio like a Yeasu (borrow a  friends) Set it up the
same way and see if you have the same problem.  I  was told by several
contesters that run ICOM products and ALPHA amps that they  had exactly the same
problem as you say.  They spoke with ICOM and they  generally deny that their
products have this problem.  The best test is to  try another brand of radio and
see what happens.  This is the only  explanation I can think of.  The test is
simple.  Good  Luck